Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The City of Angels does the Marathon


The City of Los Angeles Marathon, despite high temperatures and a discombobulated start, was an excellent experience not likely to be repeated. I certainly do not want to give the impression that LA was a bad marathon, if fact I ran a great race, I simply would not categorize the race and as a yearly “must do.”

The race officials redrew the race route this year in order to make the race faster. I don’t know what the old race was like, but I would say they succeeded.

The Bad…
First, race officials encouraged participants to get to the start early for the 8:15 start. I mean you have to be kidding! 8:15 is late, especially when the day’s highs were forecasted to be in the 80’s. The start corral was a disorganized free for all with no readily identifiable pace groups to sort out the herd. After an hour of waiting in the corral and once the race actually started, faster runners were forced to fight through walls of walkers who somehow positioned themselves up front. I think it’s great for people to get out there and walk the marathon. Good for them! PLEASE don’t start near the line! Move to the back, or if you can’t, move to the side…

The Course…
The course started near Universal Studios and proceeded up a short hill, then downhill for about 9 miles. It appeared this change had a negative effect on many runners. I observed many runners losing steam around the half-way point; probably do to going out too fast. Nonetheless, the race continued through some less than appealing neighborhoods before heading straight for downtown. Around mile 23 we were treated to a steady uphill, which zapped the last bits of energy from my legs. Throughout the race temperatures climbed from about 60 at the start to probably 80 at the finish.

The good…
Now, aside from the start, I can’t complain (except for the heat, which was not the race’s fault). The crowds were awesome. Many people made it out to support the runners even in areas that looked liked abandoned industrial parks. Thousands of people volunteered and passed out bananas and oranges. It was great.

I ran an awesome race, set a personal record (3:28) and made myself believe I should push myself beyond my pre-conceived limits.

Tom and I had an awesome time in LA. We had our post race meal at In-and-Out burger and saw a movie, where two of the actors in the movie we actually in the movie theater with us (where else in America does that happen?!?!). Our hotel was 6 blocks from the finish and just fine for $50.

I’m glad I ran the LA marathon, but with so many other marathons in California, I doubt I will be back to run in LA. Now, see the sights and eat the food? Definitely…

No comments: