Friday, March 16, 2007

L.A. Marathon - Los Angeles, CA

Race Day:
3/4/2007

Weather:
Hot, hot, hot! Wow, 80+ degrees can take a lot out of you when you're used to training on a treadmill. While the weather can't be controlled, the start time of the race could have easily been changed. An 8:15 start time is simply unacceptable in the heat of L.A. Let's start a little earlier next year, please ...

Course:
Devine was heralding this course as significantly faster than previous years and the extreme down hill over the first 8 or so miles would lead me to believe them. However, the fact that many elite runners were banning the race in protest of Devine not paying out last year's prize $$ in a timely fashion, slowed down the average time quite a bit. Don't be fooled by the average times ... this course is fast (assuming you are prepared for the heat).

As for scenery, I would have preferred a run through Beverly Hills but I guess Mr. Hefner doesnt want my Cliff Shots and banana peels in his front yard.

The crowd support was excellent. The Fire Dept. was happy to hose you down if the heat had gotten unbearable at several points on the course but was also courteous enough to leave room for those of us that prefer not to run with soaking we shoes weighing us down.

Medal:
No complaints here ... its hanging proudly on my wall.

Personal Experience:
I held myself back and ran a 4:31 in L.A. Not my best, but not my worst either. This trip taught me that you shouldn't be so stingy with your leave. The "red-eye" on Sunday + Working on Monday = A pissed off Tommy!

Conclusion:
Find a way to loop through Beverly Hills and start a little earlier ... I'll be back. But, I damn well wont be taking the "red-eye" again!

Final Grade: B

No comments: