Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Rock and Roll ½ Marathon – Virginia Beach, VA


I’ve never been to VA beach, so this ½ marathon seemed like a good excuse. I wanted to run fast so I decided not to run the 18 miler on Saturday morning. Instead I spent Saturday morning helping my roommate move out and my new roommate move it. Then picked up Tom at the airport and drove directly through hell. It was a pleasant six hour drive, which should have only taken three. Oh well, we ended up making it to the expo, which was all that mattered.

Once we got down there, Liza had dinner ready so Tom and I pigged out then went for a quick run. Jasmine rented out a sweet beach house for everyone. 10 runners in all! It was a pretty cool beach experience. Definitely better than Tom and I sharing some broke-down hotel in the middle of nowhere.

The race was super flat and fast with a tail wind for most of the way. I felt like I started off a little slow, but then kicked it in around mile three. ½ Marathon was short enough to feel like I could sprint a little, so I had some fun with it and dug a little deeper than I would in a Marathon.

In the end, I ran a sweet 1:35.05 (7:18 per mile), which was good enough for 519 overall (17,009). So I was pretty happy and I get a whole separate medal for completing two rock n’ roll races. After all, the medal is all that matters anyway.

Now if only I can convert that time into a 3:10 at Chicago Marathon I will be all set. Next up is Air Force Marathon in Dayton, Ohio. Great race – Tom and I will be joined by a mystery traveler…

No comments: