Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chicago Triathlon - August 26, 2007

When I was younger all I ever wanted to be was a triathlete, now I realize I was a silly and immature little person. Triathlons are just silly. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed myself at Chicago, but when push comes to shove, triathlons just aren’t for me.

I enjoy swimming too much to be shoved around, grabbed, pulled under and brought to fisticuffs in the sea of humanity (no pun intended) that is the Chicago swim start. Here is a tip to all those non-swimmers – if you suck, don’t start in the front with the kids that paid attention during swim lessons. Granted I was not in the best swim shape of my life, but my especially lack luster performance was more due to being boxed in from the start than from not swimming in a year. Ok sorry that was just my turn to vent – I’m really not that much of an elitist, really I’m not.

With 8600 competitors I don’t know how people could keep from getting frustrated – except for the pros, who got their own start, own transition, and own finishers banner. They deserve everything the get though, those guys are crazy fast.

Triathlons have come along way since I was 12 years-old idolizing guys like Mark Allen, Greg Welch, Nate Llerandi, and of course my brother. Now each time I decide to do a triathlon, I experience more frustration than enjoyment. It’s probably because I don’t train for triathlons, I like each sport individually. There is such a different. I’m used to focusing on each sport and giving each event the discipline it deserves. I don’t train to mix the three. Therein lies the difference between a triatlete and a swimmer, cyclist, and runner. That’s the reason I will probably never be good at triathlon, I just love the three sports too much individually. Maybe I should start doing some brick workouts with Liza – I don’t know, we’ll see.

I really don’t want to take anything away from Triathletes, I think they are amazing! But triathlons just aren’t my bag baby. But I will probably keep doing one or two a year because I am a sucker and can’t say “no.”

So the start of Chicago was kind of well organized. There were 50+ waves, each starting four minutes apart. The transition area was open from 4:15am to 5:45am. Ok, so Nick and I had to be there by 5:15am in order to find a spot, and then wait until 9:30am, which was the anticipated start time for our wave. It actually wasn’t all that bad. Nick and I hung out and watch the swimmers. It was beautiful weather in the morning, but by the finish is was crazy hot and dry.

The water was freezing and I’m NOT a loser, so no wet suit for me. The bike was super flat and fast straight up Lake Shore Drive - unbelievably beautiful ride all along the lake. It was great! The run was right down along the running path where I do my training runs when I am in Chicago. The whole race was incredibly well organized for having so many people. The race organizers should be so proud of themselves. They really did a heck of a job. Even the transition area was extremely well organized.

After my pour start in the swim, I just decided to have fun and run my own race. I had a good bike, and a good run. I even got to run a mile or so with my friend Courtney. It was so great to see her! Also, Nick spent alot of time this summer working on his swimming and it totally showed. He did so awesome all around. What a great improvement, he should be so proud of himself. Awesome job Nick!!
I think my final time was something like 2:40 something. Not a spectacular performance for me, but it was a good recovery race after Pikes Peak. I finally feel back to normal.

Next up: Virginia Beach Half Marathon, next weekend. Yummy!

1 comment:

Matt said...

did you drink any poo? tee hee...