Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Work with me people!!

I’m going to bitch and moan for a minute… is it really that difficult for people in DC to say “hello” on the paths?

I’ve been running here for more than two years and it has never ceased to amaze me how anti-social people are when crossing paths. Seldom have I received a quick response to my “hello” or “good morning”. Are people in this city really that self-centered or arrogant that they cant give a quick word to a fellow runner – who is out there just like them, kicking his butt?

I’m from Chicago, where everyone on the Lake path greets each other – total strangers – with a cheerful “good morning” or “hey how’s it going”. People may not think this is a big deal, but keeping an upbeat, cheerful attitude can be very beneficial to runners struggling through a training run – especially in the ridiculous weather we get in DC.

You can’t tell me that a friendly greeting is that detrimental to anyone’s running. Rarely do I see someone out there who looks seriously competitive, or is extremely focused on their run that they can’t spare the extra breath to say hello. Hey, maybe I just run across a lot of out of shape people who cant muster a word – in that case, do yourself a favor and slow down to conversation pace and maybe you will get in shape faster (there’s an idea).

Anyway, Emily and I are going to start saying “hi” to everyone we come across. It is our new crusade to bring a little collegiality to the DC running community. We promise to infiltrate this city with some good old fashion Midwest politeness.

Look I’m in the same amount of pain as everyone else, a quick hello never throws me off pace. Can’t we all just get along?!?!!??

5 comments:

Emily said...

Personally, when fellow runners say hi to me while running, it inspires me so much; there is a sense of camaraderie.

One runner at a time, we will transform DC runners to be friendly :)

Emily said...

Personally, when fellow runners say hi to me while running, it inspires me so much; there is a sense of camaraderie.

One runner at a time, we will transform DC runners to be friendly :)

Tom G said...

Pike's is so close my legs are hurting just thinking about it. Be sure to say hi to the runners that pass us on their way down the mountain!

Matt said...

Mark you're on crack. No one in Chicago is friendly.

travis said...

You know what's funny is that my sister and I were just having this conversation yesterday when we were out for a run! I totally agree that it just isn't that hard to say "Hi" and smile.

Don't get me wrong...Dayton is pretty friendly overall, but that sometimes makes it even worse when someone ignores you when you go by!

Good luck at Pike's!