Thursday, October 4, 2007

Great Race = Great Race!

So last weekend I raced the 30th annual City of Pittsburgh Great Race 10k. That’s right, you heard me correctly: it was a 10k. I had to think way back to the last time I actually ran a 10k, which I think was when I was in High School. So I really didn’t know how it was going to turn out.

Although a 10k is about 76% shorter than my normal marathon race distance, it sure was painful. In fact, my legs didn’t return to normal until Tuesday. That’s a recovery period I’m used to for a marathon, but certainly did not expect for a 10k.

Maybe it was arrogance, maybe it was naiveté, maybe it was just a strong effort; whatever it was, it hurt. Not to mention I was a little hung-over from the red wine the night before, but whatever – that’s just a weak excuse.

The course was mostly downhill for the first two or three miles, with a false-flat and slight uphill in the second half. The weather was great for running, slightly cool and sunny. The gun went off and before I knew it I was at mile 3. I clocked my second mile in at a 6:10.

I think there is value in course reconnaissance in any race, but I think it is far more valuable in a 10k (not that I run very many). Had I become intimately familiar with the course I probably would have been able to gauge my speed and effort better. That being said my final time was 42.12 (6:47 per mile). Not too bad. Emily, Mr. Bezek and I drove the course the day before so I had some idea where I was going, but its not the same as when you are running full out. I guess I’ll just have to spend more time in Pittsburgh to gain more familiarity.

I must say though, that I was super impressed with the city. There are a lot of great neighborhoods that I didn’t expect in a blue-collar city like Pittsburgh. We capped off the weekend with an awesome breakfast and the Steelers game. I could not have asked for a better weekend. Maybe next year Grant will man up and run the 10k!!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Next year I WILL be running this race....