Thursday, October 4, 2007

Homecoming...

This weekend is the Chicago Marathon. This is by far the best marathon in the world. I’m not just saying that because I’ve run it three times in the past, or because I’m from Chicago. I’m saying that because it is the largest, loudest, fastest, flattest, most beautiful, high energy race ever. They increase the number of participants to 45,000 this year, which means there will probably be more than the usual 1.5 million spectators.

This year I qualified for start corral B (sub 3:35), so I will have a very different experience than in the past. I’m excited to be up closer to the front, but I loved being back in the open corral – the sheer humanity is amazing and exciting. With fewer crowds to push through, corral B will give me a great opportunity to take advantage of the fast, flat course.

I love everything about this race and I can’t wait to get to the starting line. But, more than anything, this race is important to me because my friends and family will be there. All year I look forward to the weekend events: being picked up at the airport, wandering around the enormous expo, eating lots of food, seeing my family throughout the course and of course the post-race beer. Nothing is more motivational than having that turnout in your own hometown.

Sunday forecast for Chicago:

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68.
Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 84.
Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66.

Here is a little taste of what the race is like, I found it on youtube:

1 comment:

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.