Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Marine Corps Marathon - OOH RAH!!!


Eight is enough.
Marine Corps was the best possible way to end my 2007 race season, which started two weeks after the first of the year. So its less like a “season” and more like a “race year.” In any event, Marine Corps exceeded my expectations in every way possible.

To start, my entire family came in for the race. All told, we had 20+ people in town for what turned out to be a great day for marathoning and an even better day to visit Washington D.C. Even my Grandpa and Uncle came down from Philly.

I’m so glad the race starts about a mile from my house. After a 5 a.m. wake up call by Tom’s dad, I was excited for the relatively convenient and short walk to the start. The weather was perfect, with a warming slight chill at the start and a beautiful sunny day at the finish.

I’ve heard that Marine Corps is a difficult course. I just don’t buy it. There was a nice long uphill in the first two miles and a short step hill around mile five, after the key bridge. Both we not bad hills in my mind, after all I think I’m becoming relatively comfortable with hills – surprising, considering I’m from Chicago. The biggest challenge with the course came from the crowd of runners. I was startled to find so many runners in front of me walking very early in the race. With free seeding, the race really set this up for failure. By free seeding I mean that slower runners have free reign to start anywhere they like. This free start really reminded me of Los Angeles. I hope they consider moving to a staggered start like Chicago.

Other than a few areas where the field was force to squeeze through some tight passages, the course was amazing. I loved the new route which takes the race up near reservoir and back down Canal Rd. This change made for a very nice gradual downhill for many miles. The crowd support was incredible. At one point I wondered if there would be more fans out there than Chicago, which would have been an incredible feat.

I heard many complaints about the finish. The new course takes the runners within view of the finish then doubles back and kicks you in the butt with a short, but tough, uphill. Nick commented I think correctly, that the symbolism of the finish is outstanding. Just when you thought the job was done they ask a little more of you. Very much like the task before the Marines that appear just beyond the finish – immortalized in the Iwo Jima Monument.

I mentioned the fan support, but the best fans were definitely my family. They had awesome t-shits made up with Dave, Nick, Tom Sr., Tom Jr., Liza and my names on the back. They were great. Emily did an outstanding job leading them from place to place – and with a special surprise, they had a great spot at mile 25. They were the best source of support anyone could ask for…

Speaking of support, much like Ocean Drive, Dave and I set off on a plan and executed it brilliantly. We ran the entire race together, at a steady pace finishing with our halves being within minutes of each other. We kept each other motivated and going even when we weren’t feeling so great. Thanks Dave for keeping me going!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how's things marathon26-2.blogspot.com owner discovered your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com